Wednesday 22 September 2021

Zahavit said this aloud for me at Shul, for Rina

Rina and I started the daf yomi cycle 18 months ago and she was my chevruta.

As brilliant as she was, she never made me feel less than. She always taught and learned with love.

We made a good start, and studying the daf with her over lockdown was a joy.

When we got to may last year, she wrote to me to say she was feeling fluey and achey and couldn’t come over to study and it was BZ’s birthday. She felt awful about that. Crap mum moment she said.

She set herself very high standards with motherhood.

We kept learning sometimes sitting in her sunny garden, those brilliant Rina conversations that you feel privileged to be part of. She was always searching for transcendent beauty in all places.

She loved narrow boats videos, this American Life podcasts, the Beatles and all fine music, poetry and all fine words. She loved to watch turtle swimming videos with Grace on Instagram and sometimes she said she couldn’t do the daf that day because she was doing Maths revision with Eva.

We created Sugya Sistas together, and when she couldn’t learn with me any more,she genuinely loved the idea that it would go on with a chevruta for the day system.

She wrote to me when Hannah signed up...’by the way Hannah Cohen is my sister, I can’t wait for you to learn with her.’

Her loving kindness was incredible and what worried her when she was sick was that she couldn’t answer all the 100s of emails and messages of support she received.

Hopefully people will understand she said

She was happy to have found a beautiful dress for BZ and Yael’s wedding and she looked beautiful in it, but what she noticed was the kindness of the woman who opened the shop especially for her to try it on. Everyone loved her teaching and leyning, particularly my parents. Whenever they would hear her on Zoom Shabbat, they would send me fan letters to send to her.

There are many ways to say goodbye...

I wrote to her on Friday may 7 this year, to say I had found a gorgeous line in psalms 55, 14 and 15

It is translated as:
‘It is you
My equal
my companion
my friend
sweet was our fellowship
we walked together in god’s house.'
Rina said:
I saw that
So beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment